Monday, April 11, 2011

New schtuff.

With every season comes new things, seems like this Spring has more than usual. First, we have a gazillion things coming up in our new yard. When I say gazillion, I really mean a gazillion. I have started on one garden bed trying to get out all of the leaves to make way for plants to pop up. So far most of our ground cover is popping up everywhere. I am very excited to see what is exactly out there. We did have to cut down the flowering plum tree I wrote about a month ago. It was just too damaged to try and save. It made me very sad.

Yeah, so we have another dog. His name is Bentley. We responded to a Craigslist posting about him. He has been on there for a couple of weeks. He comes to us from a very good home and is very well trained. He is also a snuggle bug. Anyway, I think Bentley will be a great addition to our family and will shape Granola up a little. Granola is showing him the ropes and doesn't let him get away with much. I think he may feel a little sad at times but I also know this type of behavior is normal when introducing a new dog to the family. Meet Bentley... Another new beginning...we have more fish! Our female Platy had babies over the weekend. We watched the entire process and it was just amazing. She had a total of 23 babies. In the video below, the yellow female (that sits in the top left hand part of the "maternity tank"). You may have to rewind a time or two to focus your eye on the fish.


Piggy backing off this fish story is a classic. So, I don't really know how to tell the difference between a male and a female fish. Apparently there is an extra fin somewhere on the bottom of the fish. On Sunday, I went into the room to check on the new fry and noticed the "male" having a fish tail sticking out the bottom. I called the 2 neighbor girls and told their mom that another one of our fish is going to have babies. She sent the girls over and they watched, and watched, and watched. No babies. I called the pet store and told them that I thought the mom was having difficulties and she told me to stroke the bottom of the belly and gently pull on the baby tail that was hanging out. I thought this was gross but I did it anyway. Nothing came out and I totally got grossed out and stopped. 2 hours later I went back and the tail was still hanging out. Well, while googling for some answers I found out that the "tail" hanging out was not a tail but part of the reproductive system. Super.

1 comment:

Jenn Holt said...

I just love your sense of humor, it actually made me chuclle out loud..."super" lol