Wednesday, November 19, 2008

Just cant avoid it any longer.

About 2 weeks before Halloween, I was walking through Target and noticed that they were starting to display Christmas things. Are you kidding me? Even Owen got a little flustered and put his hands on his head and said "People, it's not Christmas yet." Seriously, the hype of the season comes a little earlier every year. By the time the holiday season actually comes along, I am tired of it and all of the Christmas ads and the way I feel sucked into buying, buying, buying.
Well, this week, it started to snow and Starbucks has their Christmas cups out. It feels like we are approaching a holiday season. So, I guess it means that I can no longer avoid holiday...especially since Starbucks says it's time.

Owen and Andrew have always wanted to make a Christmas list. I honestly am not a big Christmas list person. Christmas isn't about the things that "I" want, but in our family, we try (I say try) to help the kids understand that it is about giving to others and not thinking about ourselves. WELL, we went to Target today just to look around. I got a nice peppermint white chocolate mocha from Starbucks (in the Holiday cup) and we looked at things. Originally, we went to search for ideas for the Crawford gift exchange because I like to be prepared. We ended up in the toy isle somehow. The boys were careful not to say "I want this, I want that". Not because they didn't want it, but because they knew that if I started to hear that from their mouths, we would leave the store like I have done countless times before. I have to say, the trip was pleasant. It was nice to get ideas by what the boys were getting excited about.

When we got home, Owen made a list. Here it is. I didn't have the heart to tell him that I don't like lists because he was working so hard at his letters and sounding out the words.


Anyway, here is a YouTube video I found on another blog. I hope we can live by this principle this holiday season. Rather than spending so much on silly gifts, I would rather spend my time blessing others.

1 comment:

toad said...

his little list is so cute :)