Wednesday, July 28, 2010

Let the kid be a kid


Now that I have young boys, I am starting to revisit my childhood a little more these days. Sometimes, we forget what it was like to be kids. I had an experience with a mom while dropping off the kids at camp this morning. Andrew showed up with all of his "sillybandz" on today anticipating a trading session with all of his new friends. One of the camp counselors said "oh, man...those are awesome, I will trade with you later buddy". As another mom overheard this, she looked at the counselor and said, "those are the most ridiculous things ever, I can't believe parents give into the marketing of those". Not having my coffee at 7:30, I gave her a nice glare and just said, "Let the kid be a kid". Eek. Probably one of those things that I should have THOUGHT before it came out of my mouth, but it was too late. She was less than thrilled with my comment to her.

What was something you loved as a child?

5 comments:

toad said...

i love the sillybandz with my kids! i get all of the pink ones and they gave me a princess one that they won at a toy store. heck yeah...let them be kids. if they want weird hair and screwy clothes...go with it...there are bigger things to fight them on!

Shannon said...

No kidding! There's always someone who has to criticize. (She's probably the type doesn't let her kid get dirt on him/her.) I'm with you, let the kid be a kid!

And...I used to love those slap bracelets, you know the kind that where straight at first then you slap it on your wrist and it curls around your arm. Very cool.

CarolN said...

Jelly shoes! Teddy Ruxbin! New Coke!

I think Silly Bandz are pretty silly, just like all the other fads of the past 20 years (beanie babies, anyone?). But when I saw how much the band Jude won at church meant to him, I bought him a pack for his birthday. He will be excited, and you are right, I should just let him enjoy it until the next thing comes along.

Karen said...

I like silly bands. I think they're a cheap, easy thing for kids to trade and collect. They're also an interesting take on gummy bracelets.

As a kid I loved friendship pins and bracelets, as well as sticker books.

Shannon said...

The list is long.... friendship pins, stickers in MASS quanities, and the big one... New Kids on The Block! Serioulsy... I was obsessed... bought every teeny bop magazine out there and hung posters all over my room. I'm so glad my parents let me go with it (and even more thankful it didn't last forever!)