Tuesday, March 15, 2011

agree to disagree

In the last few weeks, I have had had the opportunity to have 2 girls weekends thanks to my wonderful hubby! The first was a few weeks ago when I went on a scrap booking retreat. This is a time for me to get caught up on all of my scrapbooks for the boys. This particular group of ladies involved one of my closest friends and then about 6 others that I meet up with at scrapbook crops. There were also some new people there that I have never met. This last weekend I went with a group of close friends from our couple's bible study and playgroup. I see these friends on a weekly basis, sometimes 2 times per week.
Of the 2 groups, not one person was the same as me (PHEW...I can be a little messed up sometimes). Our childhoods weren't the same, our family life and the way we approach parenting is so different. In the end, we are all wonderful people that turned out pretty good regardless of the paths we have been down. We love our kids, we love our families, we are all fabulous cooks and most importantly...we love our God!

Over the last 2 months, I have had reservations about contributing to conversations in large groups involving the various social issues that fall in the grey area. First of all, I have an attention span of a pea and secondly I feel when discussing these things we form somewhat harsh feelings to those who don't agree with us or don't see eye to eye. I am not saying that it isn't healthy to have intelligent conversations with one another but most of the time it ended up with me walking away a little bitter towards another person. I know if this happens to me, it must happen to others. I feel as if the second part of the greatest commandment 'Love your neighbor as yourself' is being compromised when I would walk away a little irritated. I have decided for the time being until I can sort out some things that I am happy to listen and to agree to disagree.

On a lighter note, we woke up with 30 baby Molly's in our fish tank! It was a beautiful sight for me and for the boys. Their little hearts just melted when they saw the babies. These little guys are super cute. We wont have to worry about stocking our tank for quite sometime.

1 comment:

Karen said...

I wish more people were willing to agree to disagree.
Regardless on how I feel about x, y or z... let's hang out soon, okay?