Tuesday, November 17, 2009

Pick me! Please pick me!

We are considering getting a dog. Yes, a dog. What are we thinking? Most of you know that I am not a dog lover. I cringe at dogs that lick my face or stick their noses in places they shouldn't. I hate sitting on a couch to only have gobs of hair stuck to me when I get up. I tolerate it, because I don't have to live with it. So friends with dogs, don't worry...I don't think less of you if your dogs do this to me. I like to love on your pets while I am there, I just choose (up until this point) not to live with it. So, getting a dog is a big step for me. There are just somethings one must sacrifice to make the other members in their family happy. This is my mind frame. Just jeep telling myself that. Just keep telling myself that.

We went to the dog shelter last night and looked at some of the ugliest dogs we have ever layed eyes on. Honestly, we aren't looking for the purebred or for the softest dog out there. That is why we went to the dog shelter. I (and Owen) have a tendency to lean toward the misfits. I love picking out the Christmas trees that nobody else would choose. I kind of feel sorry for them, like they have feelings. Maybe it is because I remember the days in Junior High that I stood alone, waiting to get picked. Usually, I was the last one to get chosen. I was lanky, my mouth full of metal, huge glasses, and just plain awkward. I will spare you of the pictures. Owen has inherited the "pick the misfit" syndrome from me. I love the story of Rudolph and the land of the misfits.

I can relate to the Charlie in the box or the train with square wheels. Owen and I share a special bond. We will pick the chewed up pencil before picking the new pencil with the eraser, we will pick the ugly pumpkin over the round full pumpkin and we will most likely pick the mutt over any purebred beauty. Everybody ( or thing) deserves a chance, right? lol

We didn't find a dog. There were several on the website that I wanted to check out. Here are the pictures of the dogs that Owen and I held a special place for...
Caution: Images may hurt the eyes of some.



And this guy kind of melted my heart...Meet Simon.


We continue to look for a dog for our family. We plan to visit the shelter a few more times. We know that a large dog would push this momma over the edge of sanity and I also know that I would prefer a dog that doesn't shed all over the place. I know that this all sounds a little picky, but I know my limits and want to make this an enjoyable experience for everyone. I don't want to find myself frantically vacuuming the furniture before someone comes to visit or always apologizing for the gobs of hair that stick to my friends black outfits. I know I will do this. I hate that I would do this, but I will. I am sure there is a dog out there for the Crawfords...

and I think his name will be Simon.

6 comments:

Kristen said...

my days of coming over will be ending coincedentally with the arrival of your new pet!!!

:) Sorry, I have had a lifetimes fill of animals....NEVER AGAIN!!!

Angie said...

Simon kind of looks like Simon Cowell - the black, his almost scornful expression. :) I prefer big dogs - the bigger ones are often calmer. But then you have extra drool and gross stuff like that. I hope you guys find one that you grow to love!

amy said...

ahhh, you have no idea how happy it makes me that you're looking for a dog! misfits and mutts are my favorites. also, large dogs tend to be quieter than tiny ones, in my opinion. :)

Gerbicks said...

i have to agree with the other comments, larger dogs/breeds (even mutts) tend to be quieter & less intrusive & even seem to shed less. the smaller ones seem to 'yip yip yip', etc. i dunno, good luck crawfords. most dogs (unless they are short hair breeds--griswold is not) shed about the same amount. smaller dogs tend to have longer hair. at any rate, griswold will for sure be happy to meet a new friend!

Karen said...

great. my kid's name reduced to a dog's name. :D

Hidden Places said...

I have talked to and comforted lots of people after their pets died and I have come to believe that some pets for some people fill a need that nothing else can in life -- it's hard to explain but true. I didn't care so much for Guydog - but Scotty loved him so.... I loved a clinic cat named Monte and was horrified to come to work one day and find him "adopted" - I felt so oddly lost.... I hope your family finds that one dog that will fill that space for your kids (and you, too!)