
Here is Andrew's new board. He only purchaced a deck and had his other trucks and wheels put on from his other board. This is big. Usually Andrew spends his money on silly things like frosties, this time he wanted to go right to the skateshop and spend it there. When he was done with his purchase, he was very, very proud that the money didn't go to something silly. He wants to save money for his new set of Spitfire wheels. What type of things do you do to help your child understand the value of money?
2 comments:
I think having them save their money for a special thing makes them appreciate it even more. I never got an allowance or any money from my parents growing up, so I worked full time (summers) from 12 on up to high school, then full time year round. I appreciate everything I bought! But my hubby...who got everything handed to him doesn't appreciate what it takes to save for big things.
I agree with Kristen, and our husbands are similar! Ethan (7) calls himself a savvy spender! He has learned from saving in the past and spending on useless things, that he doesn't get to enjoy them for as long.
So now when he wants something big he has to save! It also helped that someone stole his wallet out of our shopping cart while we were shopping at Toys R Us. He worked so hard at our spring garage sale and saved, I finally let him make a trip there and someone snached it, in a Lightning McQueen wallet, terrible thing, but he definately learned the hard way how valuable money is; not that I suggest that, lol!
I do think letting them learn themselves and throwing them questions while buying is smart. i.e. Will you be happy with that purchase?, do you want to spend all the money? Just to help them sort it out, it's very overwhelming for them to have a decent chunk on moo-lah.
We also started very early on to go to our local credit union and join the kids club, they have a ton of incentives for the kids to save! They love to put money in!
Post a Comment