Today I cried over a Doughnut. I guess it isn't an ordinary doughnut, it is a Paczki. My mom would correct me on that little fact. Today is Fat Tuesday and basically it is the day to eat all of the bad things you want before Lent begins. Paczki Day (yes, it is actually a day for the Polish) is a yummy day that my mom loved.
Yesterday, I opened this box of Paczki and started to cry. I sat on the ground and Aaron came in the kitchen and he saw that I was crying. I said "my mom loved Paczki Day" and I bursted into tears. It was kind of funny because I am a little hormonal anyway. He smiled a little because to him, it was just a doughnut. To me, it was a reminder of my mom. He then understood, still with a little smile on his face. Today, I had an uninterrupted moment to cry while I ate the Lemon filled Paczki. I know that it is particially my pregnancy hormones, but also a lot of sentimental emotion. I remember my mom always searching to find the very same Paczki that she use to by in Hamtramck. She would specially order them from different bakeries where she lived. She wanted to make sure she had her Paczki for that special day. When she would finally get them, she would take notice of the ways it wasn't a real Paczki. I also remember the time that I attempted to make Paczki at home for my mom. I carefully followed the directions from my Polish Cookbook. They seemed to be a little hard, but I figured that "maybe that is the way they make them in Hamtramck". I sent them in a box to my mom and she received them on Fat Tuesday. I will never forget her telling me so nicely as she was laughing "they are hard as Rocks". I guess that was a pretty good indication that I didn’t' make them like they did in Hamtramck.
I hope my mom is getting all of the "real" Paczki she wants right now. I can only imagine what Heaven is like with all of her Polish relatives....doing the polka with a "real" Paczki in each hand.

2 comments:
Love the picture of you with your mom. She looks like a special lady. I'm sure the tears are a combination of sentiment AND hormones, both of which are normal! My trip to FL got me thinking about my dad as well as I was with him the last time I was there. Do you know that I have never had a Paczki? I have seen them in the store and know what they are but have never eaten one. Poor me!
I'm so sorry you had such a tearful day, I know the hormones don't help, though.
I had my first Paczki last week, it was from Kroger and probably not like your mom remembered them, but it was gooooood!
p.s. Thanks for the link, I have gotten a lot of hits on my site from you!
Post a Comment