
My little buddy Andrew knows I love the Wizard of Oz. I have been wanting to rent this for the boys for a very long time. I know this movie may have some things going on (witches, wizards) and some people just don't want to expose their kids to this and don't agree with the concept. However, it is a classic, and my kids will get to watch it if they want to. They know that our family believes Jesus is the almighty and nothing can stand against him without shaking...not even flying monkeys. They are also aware of the difference between reality and fiction. Just my 2 cents. I plan to rent the movie next weekend. It should be fun!
Where am I going with this, oh yeah...
The Columbus Children's theatre is putting on the Classic Wizard of Oz for the next couple of weeks. We got something in the mail and Andrew kept showing it to me saying "look mom, you love this movie". Yes, I do. I can recite the entire movie from beginning to end. It was a favorite in our home growing up. So, the little guy is in for a surprise. We are going next week. Just him and I. I asked a cousin and her daughter to go along with us. Hopefully, she will be able to go. I bought 4 tickets total, so if she can't go, I have 2 tickets to share.
There is something very special about Andrew that I have noticed lately. He really thinks of other people and their feelings. When he kept showing me this post card, I knew that he knew that it would be something I would want to go to. I think it was the first time I really felt like one of my kids actually were aware of the things I enjoy in life, and expressed it by telling me that I should go to it.
A couple of weeks ago, he came home and said, "Mom, I played with ___ today at recess". I didn't really think anything of it, but then the name didn't ring a bell. I asked him who this kid was. He said "it is a kid in a wheelchair mom, and I saw that he didn't have anybody to play with so I asked him if he wanted to play tag with me". This child has an electric wheelchair by the way. The next day, he played with him again and actually got more children to play along and they THOUGHT IT WAS COOL. He saw the need, and accommodated to that need.
*smiling*
Where am I going with this, oh yeah...
The Columbus Children's theatre is putting on the Classic Wizard of Oz for the next couple of weeks. We got something in the mail and Andrew kept showing it to me saying "look mom, you love this movie". Yes, I do. I can recite the entire movie from beginning to end. It was a favorite in our home growing up. So, the little guy is in for a surprise. We are going next week. Just him and I. I asked a cousin and her daughter to go along with us. Hopefully, she will be able to go. I bought 4 tickets total, so if she can't go, I have 2 tickets to share.
There is something very special about Andrew that I have noticed lately. He really thinks of other people and their feelings. When he kept showing me this post card, I knew that he knew that it would be something I would want to go to. I think it was the first time I really felt like one of my kids actually were aware of the things I enjoy in life, and expressed it by telling me that I should go to it.
A couple of weeks ago, he came home and said, "Mom, I played with ___ today at recess". I didn't really think anything of it, but then the name didn't ring a bell. I asked him who this kid was. He said "it is a kid in a wheelchair mom, and I saw that he didn't have anybody to play with so I asked him if he wanted to play tag with me". This child has an electric wheelchair by the way. The next day, he played with him again and actually got more children to play along and they THOUGHT IT WAS COOL. He saw the need, and accommodated to that need.
*smiling*
3 comments:
the wizard of oz FREAKS ME OUT. not b/c jesus can't save me from the flying monkeys but b/c it's just plain freaky, that movie, to me & my extraordinary imagination that will give me odd nightmares for months & years & decades after i've seen it.
BUT you two will have a blast! what a kid.
awww...he gave me tears this morning. What a heart he has! :)
Have fun at the show, it will be awesome....I would recommend selling the tickets if your cousin couldn't go with you...then it really could be just the two of you, that would make it special to him too.
okay your boy totally rocks to have sought out a kid that didn't have anyone playing with him. THAT is what parenting is all about. good job, b/c clearly you've taught him some great (and important) values.
as for wizard of oz.. woo!!! that's awesome. i didn't realize anyone would take offense to it. huh.
Post a Comment