Monday, September 7, 2009

Visitors

This weekend we had visitors! My niece Theresa and her beau Chris came from Michigan to see the Crawfords. Warning, this post is packed with excessive pictures and videos... Excuse the grammatical errors, it has been a long weekend.

On Saturday, Theresa and Chris arrived in the late morning. Aaron won tickets to the Ohio State game, so he took Andrew to watch the Bucks at the Horseshoe. Chris is a big Michigan State fan. Earlier in the week, we looked at the game schedule and found out that "his" game was only going to be aired on the Big Ten network. We don't have the Big Ten network. Big problem. Being the nice person that I am, I ordered the Big Ten network (temporally, however, Aaron would love if we kept it) so he can watch the game. Big brownie points. He had told Theresa that he would drive separately if he couldn't watch the game (At least that was Theresa's version of the story *wink*).

Saturday evening, we headed downtown to the Greek festival. Chris wore his Michigan State shirt and had a couple of people comment on it. Go figure...everybody is a Buckeye fan here. Anyway, I wish I had a Greek persons skin tone. I felt like Casper the friendly Polish ghost among all of those Olive skinned beauties. I don't think I like Greek food though. I had a gyro, but my palette was saying "no" the entire time. Maybe it was because a lamb was being roasted on a stick right next to the gyro booth? Just maybe. It was CRAZY there. We had to take Elliott and his stroller, so that made for an even more interesting night. It was fun to listen to the music, but we couldn't watch the dancers because it was so CRAZY. We bought some pretty darn good Baklava though.

Sunday was a major cooking extravaganza. Aaron originally wanted to get his smoker out and I PUT MY FOOT DOWN! Then, he pouted. I couldn't say no. His pouting gets me everytime. He started smoking his meat around 7:00 a.m.. The plans were to play some poker with "a few guys" at night. "A few guys" slowly turned into a party so to say. We had about 18 people here by the end of the night and I loved it. We realized that smoking meat creates ALOT of food, so in order for us not to eat smoked meat for a week, we HAD to invite some people over...Right? This is what energizes me I guess. Aaron wanted to try Smoking Pork butt (that is ironically located on the shoulder of the pig) to give it a test run for Elliott's birthday bash in a couple of weeks.

For my contribution, I made some Chocolate Stout Cake. You can find the recipe here on my "good intentions" food blog. I am planning on starting it up again this week. And guess what? I didn't freak out this time (and...no anxiety medication needed! lol). What did I do differently you ask? I stayed the heck out of the kitchen. Good move for me. Note to self, that worked.

In the afternoon, Chris and Theresa made sushi. I have NEVER tried sushi and was a bit hesitant. It wasn't as bad as I thought it would be. I actually enjoyed it. Aaron brought out his Sake from one of his visits to Japan. In order for us to remember how to prepare sushi, I made Chis explain the process to me. He is a funny guy. Aaron really liked him. Theresa better keep him or we will be mad at her.


This is the scene that ended the night. Smelly cigars, giggly men and a beautiful night.

Now our company is gone. We are lonesome here. We don't hear Theresa's giggles or Aaron teasing her. We miss them. Please come back :(

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

AWWWW, SO PITIFUL! :(

Shannon said...

I haven't seen Theresa in so long. She's such a lovely lady and she looks so happy! And bravo to you for trying sushi. I've also had it and YUCK, I hate it. This doesn't bode well for me, since Kevin's father's side of the family is all Japanese! The sake, though, bring it on!