Monday, August 17, 2009

Smokin' Away.

Aaron has a new hobby. Smoking meat.



My eye twitches when I think of it. (Thank you for that phrase Kristen). I kind of freak out a little when he mentions that he wants to get his smoker out. He blames it a little on my Polish roots. blah blah blah. My anxiety level rises just a bit and my blood pressure is visible to my ears. I am like my mother. For those of you who did not know my mom, she was a very strong, get out of my kitchen kind of lady. Many years ago, we were staying at my parents home and he went into my mom's kitchen to prepare a frozen pizza. My mom was right behind him observing everything he was doing, trying to clean up after him, and giving him detailed instruction on how to make the frozen pizza...cause he certainly did not know how to make a frozen pizza. *wink*. He was definitely stepping over his boundaries with being in "her" kitchen. It was a generation thing. It is a Polish thing. It was my mom's thing. It was her kitchen and that is just the way it was. My dad attributes his lack of cooking skills due to the fact that he wasn't allowed in her kitchen. lol. Bless that Polish woman's heart!

The first time he brought the smoker out, he called me by my mothers name because the similarities to my mother's behavior and mine were to the point of scariness. The kitchen became an instant war zone. I like a clean kitchen, and this new hobby of my hubby's was just messing with my mind and emotional well being. I will spare you of the details, but I couldn't wait until the day was over and was hoping his hobby was going to be short lived.

Well, he smoked meat again this weekend.

He loves smoking meat much to my dismay. He kindly volunteered to help our good friends Wes and Heidi out with their daughter's first year birthday. He smoked 2 large pork loins for them and 3 chickens for a little get together for some Friends of his.
Here is the stuffing for the loins...Apple and cranberries

His masterpieces turned out very well and got rave reviews. I did a little better with it this time around. I did happen to take it upon myself to prepare the chicken for him while he was gone. I don't think he liked that. He enjoys the prep, but I guess the control freak came out in me. It creeps out once in a while. I never claimed to be perfect ya know.









So, I guess this hobby is here to stay regardless of how much I prayed it would fizzle. I will be sure to ask my doctor for an anti anxiety medication for when the smoker comes out to play.

Aaron Goofing off...

He isn't really peeing, just getting the water out of the slip ans slide.

4 comments:

The King..... said...

"I did a little better with it this time around"

I suppose you don't remember saying....

"our family is all going to die of salmonella poisoning"

Gerbicks said...

i hope you get some anxiety meds b/c aaron rocks @ smoking! & judy, dear frined, what about the concept of *sharing*...even when it comes to your kitchen? lol wes has a smoker ordered now; i think we should get aaron, wes, & my brother together for a smoke off next spring. (i can host, i have no problems sharing my kitchen, *wink*)

Kristen said...

You are most welcome for the phrase...too bad it is not just a phrase but something that literally happens way too often! :)

My mouth is watering when I look at the pics...he really is good at it...maybe he can do the prep and clean the kitchen while you aren't at home...I totally know how you feel, except I also have to share it with a budding culinary 17 year old who makes awesome meals, but thinks the awesome mess she leaves behind just takes care of itself!

Monica said...

I know this comes a bit late, But I do relate VERY well! Maybe it is a Polish thing :). I never thought of it that way.
And by the way, I laughed the whole time I read this..LOL