Thursday, July 31, 2008

My doctors appointment.


Ok, so I was a complete wreck at my o.b. appointment today. For those of you who do not know, I was put on a very low dose of Zoloft while taking care of my mom. I was having anxiety attacks while taking care of her last year and my doctor felt that with everything going on, that this was the best temporary solution. In December, I had decided that it was time to get off of the med. I would have done so sooner, but my doctor advised me to stay on it until the first of the year. Well, that is when we found out we were expecting. So, my o.b. advised me again to stay on it until I reach my third trimester (this is when these types of drugs can have a direct effect on the baby's heart...it isn't common with this anti-depressant, but can with others in the same category). I have been off of the med for 4 weeks now. I didn't start to feel the effects until this week. It seems like I have been very weepy, cranky and frankly...pretty "bitchy".

As I talked to my doctor about how I was feeling, I had the "Ugly Cry" going on...the kind of cry that you try to hold back, but your facial expressions are just hideous if you hold back. So, the best thing to do is LET IT ALL OUT..and that I did.

Of course, the doctor gave me her opinion...stay off the drug. However, she also said...it is ultimately my decision.

So the options are...go back on Zoloft and take the Minuit risk that the baby will develop a heart condition OR stick it out and hope my friends and family will understand what I am going through. I know what my decision is. There is no doubt about it that I am going to put up with my crazy emotions and everyone else will have to as well. There is NO way I am going to risk anything!! I wouldn't be able to live with myself if anything happened.

I ask that you pray for me these last couple months. I guess I am afraid that my kids will be scarred for the rest of their lives because of my crazy emotions right now. I also know that God is still good. I know he will bring me through this hard time.

Thanks for reading.

5 comments:

Angie said...

Hey Judy, I'm praying for you. I know pregnancy messed with my emotions pretty bad just by itself so I'm sure with everything else going on it is hard. And I know exactly what kind of cry you're talking about! That seems to be my most common. Take care.

Shannon said...

praying for you my friend! :)

The Four Feathers said...

Hey...look at it this way...at least you can whine and moan and get away with it...milk it for all it's worth! On a more serious note...thanks for your honesty! There are many times I have felt I needed some kind of meds and then it seems to be ok. The mind is a dangrous thing!

Gerbicks said...

you are an extraordinarily strong woman & mother...add jesus into the mix & you are only stronger. i KNOW you have a hubby & friends who will let you cry & scream when needed. this is a very stressful time so give yourself as much grace as you give others (& god gives you). love ya

Anonymous said...

HI JUDY, JUST TO LET YOU KNOW, I DO UNDERSTAND. EXPECTING A BABY MESSED UP MY EMOTIONS "BIG"
TIME. YOU ARE GOING TO BE FINE SIS. LIKE SOMEONE SAID ABOVE(THE FOUR FEATHERS) "MILK IT" FOR ALL YOPU CAN. JUST THINK THE REWARD AFTER. LOVE YA..
P.S. CALL ME IF YOU NEED TO SCREAM OR TALK.. HAHA..... I AM A GOOD LISTENER.