Mom: Owen, it is time for your haircut buddy. dialogue
Owen: can I get a Mohawk?
Mom: no
Owen: can I get a buzz?
Mom: No, let's just trim it a little before we go on vacation. It will be good to have a trim before summer.
Owen: ok, can I have a lollipop when you are done.
Mom: Yes Owen...you can have a lollipop but you have to sit REALLY still.
Owen: ok.
(Mom in the process of cutting hair)
Owen: Mom, how short are you going to make it
Mom: Just a trim Owen, chill out.
Owen: I want my curls still mom. Don't cut my curls off. My friends love my curls and my hair.
Mom: Well, your curls are gone Owen. I said I was going to trim and they got cut off.
Owen: (blank stare)"MOM"
Mom: (cutting more hair, the kid has more hair than I thought. Mom thinking that I should have taken him to the salon. Mom takes a break and calls salon, salon is closed...CRAP, mom has to finish and no turning back)
Owen: Mom, can Jawaan (his hairdresser) cut my hair? Maybe you can take me to him tomorrow.
Mom: No, they are closed Owen. It is kind of too late. Mom has to TRY and finish your hair.
Owen: Don't cut too short mom
Mom: Owen, let me do my job, ok?
cut, cut, cut, cut. Hmmm...gotta get the buzzers out. Wasn't expecting to use the buzzers on this job. Mom thinking to herself "HE IS GOING TO BE PISSED".
Mom looking at Owen in the eyes, holding his hand: Owen, it is a little shorter than what I thought. It looks really good, but your curls are gone (Owen feeling hair and starts to freak out..."Let me see mom). Owen looks into the mirror. Cries. Cries more and Cries hard.
Owen: MOM!!! The kids at school love my hair. They aren't going to like me now. Everybody is going to make fun of me. I hate it. (Thankfully, he didn't say "I HATE YOU).
Mom: (teaching moment) Owen, your friends like you because you are Owen, not because of your hair. Do you have friends that you only like because of their hair or what they wear?"
Owen: Yes. (teaching moment gone and not feeling like I need to talk to him about shallow friendships)
Mom: (still trying to convince him that he is special) Owen, it looks really good and it will be so much cooler for summer. You will get use to it.
Owen: (1 hour later still crying)...then nothing. It all turned good.
Mom and Dad: (looking at one another) "Jekyll and Hyde?" hmmm
June 1, 2009
Owen: I don't want to go to school mom.
Mom: you are going to school Owen. I will walk you in.
Owen enters the Kindergarten room and his friend notices the haircut and says in a surprised voice..."Owen, you got your haircut".
Owen: (melts to the ground) "He is making fun of me" (enters Boo Hoo Mode)
Teacher: (pulls Owen aside and has a "talk")
Mom: (feels like crap)
To be continued. (I am sure I will get an earful when he comes home from school). I really like it and did a pretty darn good job. What I don't understand is that he wanted a buzz but thought this haircut was too short.
The new hairdo's...
3 comments:
i'm just impressed that you cut his hair! there's no way i am getting close to the girls' hair with scissors b/c i would end up crying also...i think it looks good also!
i have only ever taken my boys to the salon ONCE and that was because they were ahving a 2.99 haircut special. i have always cuy them, so they don't know any better. i have had a few mishaps with the clippers here and there...i will never forget the time that aaron told me that the #2 would be ok for toby for vacation...he looked totally bald because he is blonde! so, tell your boys that you did a good job and that they can get a $1 toy at target with the money you saved on the haircut!
It saves us 15 dollars per cut! I use to cut their hair all of the time, but the longer style is harder to manage and I always screw it up. Now that it is summer, I will be able to maintain it.
I think.
I hope. There is always Jawaan to fall back on if I screw it up too much. lol
Oh, By the way, Jawaan is at Great Clips at graceland if you need a good boy haircut. He knows my boys by name and they LOVE him!
Post a Comment